Dating your husband


Hm... date my husband? Ok let me find time to do that in between work, a child attached to my hip, and every other responsibility life throws at me.

(Thought I would take a walk down memory lane.)





Hold that thought 

Let me give you some background information on my husband...

Alec and I have been together for eight years. We met when I was attending Texas State University and we were both working at a retail store. I knew right away I was going to marry Alec. Because of him I felt comfortable in my own skin, and that was huge. We dated for six years before we got married. We have seen and done it all. Long distance, living together, break ups, FaceTime, and we have had our fair share of challenges. It hasn't always been easy being with Alec, but it has always
been worth it.




Like I said before, we had six years of being selfish and madly in love. ( I am not a lovey-dovey  type of person, so don't expect a ton of mushiness). We had a lot of time to be immature and have the screaming fights and the drunken nights. We were your typical college couple at a bar. So annoying. But we grew up together and  we  have always fought for our love and everything else. Especially the toilet seat, put the damn toilet seat down. 



Anyways.

On June 27th, 2015 I married the absolute love of my life and on June 27, 2015 the love of my life knocked me up.

Our wedding night gift 


There goes our 5 year plan


Not exactly what we had planned. We had these big plans to travel, to buy a house, and all the typical newlywed goals. It didn't really happen that way. My beautiful, bald headed baby changed our world.


After the emotions of getting married, finding out we were pregnant, and having our baby wore off,  we realized we by passed the newlywed part and became the old married couple.

Moo-moo included

Dont get me wrong, Dateline and pizza on a Friday night is what I was doing before Conor, so my social life didn't really change all that much.

What was it that really had changed? Alec and I didn't go out very much, so that wasn't a big change. But our conversations did. Sometimes I catch us saying nothing to each other except " Where's Conor?"  Do you have him?" " Yeah I have him. did he eat dinner?" " Crap. I knew I forgot something."



How did my parents do it?

My parents who have been married for 30 years, seemed to have always gotten it right. They were both each other's second marriages, but they seemed like pros at balancing their relationship and dealing with three extremely hormonal girls.

So what is it that I want to bring back from the relationship before Conor?

The laughter. That is honestly all I want to bring back from before him. Alec and I sucked at being in a relationship before him. It was dramatic and immature. Today, we are building our lives together and we respect one another. But laughing about stupid things  doesn't happen as often as it should.

I think I am hilarious, so I dont know why Alec doesn't laugh at my jokes more often. 


I know they say not to have technology in the bedroom, because of all the wild sex your supposed to be having..... yeah right. But just sitting beside Alec watching a movie in our bed is more intimate to me than sitting at a restaurant at our weekly planned "date night". I know life is busy and we are exhausted, but for me having everything planned out   is boring. Dont get me wrong dinners with your man are great,  but pizza and comfy clothes with Alec  bring  me back to a time where we had an overpriced apartment with no furniture  and were so excited just to be together.

I know we are parents now, but reminding each other of the things that made you fall in love with each other so long ago, has to be good for your marriage. Unless he brings back his chili bowl haircut...then I will leave.


Goal : Be spontaneous with my man. Find that laughter again.

Until next time,

Lo









Comments

Popular Posts