Balancing Friendships


As the Beatles have  sang " I get by with a little help from my friends". Well,  I get by with A LOT of help from my friends.

(Two of my best friends, Lauren and Elise) 







My friends are a HUGE part of my life. I would say I have about 9 best friends. Seriously. A few are from childhood and some became apart of my life during my college days. I just couldn't get rid of these chicks! I have a huge love for my friends. We can argue like sisters, and then call each other five minutes later forgetting we ever argued. People really don't understand us, and that is okay.

We represent all different types of seasons in life, some are moms, some are newlyweds, engaged, and single. I have a  special type of bond with each friendship, and these differences have taught me different viewpoints in life.



THEN I BECAME A MOM 

Becoming a mom changes things. I have been on both sides now. The single friend that doesn't understand the drastic life change a baby brings and now I am the mom trying to juggle the baby and the friendships.

Don't get me wrong, as you get older your friendships change. When we are pre-teens are whole world is revolved around our friends, in our early twenties we start appreciating our family time more and  our lives become busier. Once we get married and have kids our friends tend to get put on the back burner.




(Don't let her fool you, she hated taking this picture)




But why?

Why do we throw away such precious relationships because our lives have changed? We balance everything in life. Why do we not put more effort into our friendships?

When you don't have a kid, you don't understand what it takes to actually hang out with friends. Moms have to find a baby sitter and can only stay out of the house for a certain amount of time. The worst is when all of the grandparents are out of town and your go-to babysitter is busy. IT SUCKS. Friends, we want to go out. We want to have our time with girls, but understand it has changed. We are balancing kids and also needy husbands ..sometimes it is hard!




But on the other hand...

Moms...get out of the house...without your kids!! Maintain these precious friendships that you have or had before your baby. There will be a day when your kid goes to college and you will have a life again. Hold on to these friends that you can lean on when life is hard. Also, when you are out with your friends who do not have kids, remember that they will not be able to relate to you. YOU ARE NOT BETTER BECAUSE YOU HAVE A KID. Your life has changed, and that is great, but no one wants to hear how hard your life is because you are a mom. ENJOY YOUR TIME OUT. SAVOR IT.

These friends are important. They will keep you sane. Appreciate your girlfriend time!!!

Two of these best friends came to visit me and it was much needed. My sweet husband watched Conor and I was free to go explore Austin with my girls. It was the perfect day.

My friends are all on their own journeys in life, one recently got married and one in excelling in her career. Neither one of them are moms, and it was so nice to get away and have adult conversations. It was even more special to watch my friends love on my son. My advice, hold your friendships close to your heart. You will need them one day when your kid is throwing food everywhere and you need an escape. Your kid will thank you for it later.

My goal to maintain my friendships is going well. This week I plan on calling one of these friends each week to see how they are doing. Listening and not giving advice is a huge hurdle in friendships. Sometimes your friend just needs someone to vent to. This is what I wil be practicing.  It will be funny to see how awkward it can be, since we usually just text.

I'm coming for you Lacy...

See you soon friends!

Lo

















Comments

Popular Posts